The Clarksville Department of Electricity began operations in December 1938. The City of Clarksville purchased the distribution facility from the Kentucky-Tennessee Light & Power Company, a privately owned and profit making utility, and contracted to purchase power for resale from the Tennessee Valley Authority. All power consumed by CDE and its customers is supplied by TVA.
The department's service area includes all of the 100 square miles located within the boundaries of the city of Clarksville. Approximately 60,000 customers are served and 892 miles of power lines and 960 miles of fiber optic cable are maintained.